Thursday, May 20, 2010

Survival Story- Flobots

Completely neglected my Flobots news and missed their new album release date. But I listened and, as always, was really exited to have my ears be blessed with the rare social commentary that the members have dedicated their band to- not impressed. at all. well just a little but I'll tell you why in a second.

I know i say I'm really picky with my music and that I'm almost never impressed with new albums, but I gave the flobots a lot of wiggle room. The fact that they do dedicate their albums to protest instead of numbing us with songs about petty love and narcissism, is heroic and scarce as it is. If the music wasn't the best, as long as they had a good message, i would have still liked it. PLUS I saw them at my local powershift and they definitely said they were joining the environmental movement- brownie points!!!






Their new album cover reflects that decision and I do appreciate the song Defend Atlantis, but most of the tracks just aren't structured properly. I don't know what happened, maybe they switched songwriters or someone was really off their game, but I cannot look past the sloppiness. lyrics didn't flow, the chorus' did not mesh, the music was off...i can't even put my finger on it. In short- it was an amateur album. Can this really be the same band that recorded Fight with Tools 3 years ago? because they were AMAZING!! I LOOOOOVED that Flobots- i with it was them that made my environmental anthem.

I'm crossing my fingers for an album 3 and that it will be better. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt (again) and say that the second album is always the weakest- just because you have to figure out how to follow up a good first. I know that this band has the potential because I highly doubt that someone can make 12 flukes in a row on one album.

**sidenote: did also enjoy the song White Flag Warrior. This was very well done. I'll give them that : )

WhiteFlagWarrior from Flobotics on Vimeo.


More Flobots: Handlebars, Fight with Tools, Rise



<3

No comments: