Monday, August 24, 2009

Jesus Called

I was reading a post from 'Stuff Christians Like' and it was talking about saying that are, well said, when someone has moved on. He asked everyone to put down their own personal favorite sayings and one person wrote down "Jesus Called". I think i'm going to take that one.

I know personally i've relinquished my fear of death or dying- i know who i'm going to meet on the other side. But this talk of passing away and the attitude of the mourners made me realize that I'd rather have people honor my passing by being joyful- not unhappy. I, of course, realize that no one is going to be too joyful- i just died- but that spirit should be in the back of their minds. I love to laugh, i love to have a good time, i love to cheer people up, my funeral shouldn't be a Debby downer. There's a passage in 2 Timothy that i love, and when i read it i knew that this was what i wanted to be able to say by the time i was on my death bed:

For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2Tim.4:6-8)

I know that i want to leave saying "i've fought the good fight, i have finished the race- now Jesus is calling me to come home." How amazing it will be to be able to say those words. To know that i've done the will of my father, and that he has said 'well done, good and faithful servant. Come and dwell with me." It brings excitement into my heart. I wonder what other people, who do not know my father, feel about death. I wonder what kind of emotions go through their minds when they think about the moment their on that death bed. will they be able to know with confidence what and who is going to meet them when they open their eyes again? or is there an ever pressing 'what if...' on their minds when they play that last scene over and over.

No comments: